Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Caitlin's Statement

I try to live by the statement "simple is good". I would say that a good 99.9% of what I try to do
starts out by taking a large idea and then going back and hacking away at it until I can see the bare essentials of what I am looking at. I think that once I am aware of the rules I have set for myself, it makes it much easier for me to crank out a stronger idea. I'd also like to think that knowing the rules to a story gives you clearance to break them. I like to build, build, build onto stories and then see what happens when something that seems essential is taken away, or something out-of-place is added. I think that knowing the essentials of what you're working with also lets you throw out anything unnecessary. Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote that "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away". I think this is a good way to look at the creative process.
I like reading folk tales, mythology and the work of Joseph Campbell. The idea of archetypes and universal themes is really interesting to me. I think the idea of a "collective unconcious" is really strange, but also very interesting as well.
I often incorporate child-like themes into my artwork, because of it's appearance of simplicity and also because I can't draw my way out of a paper bag. With my artwork and writing, I try to build on essential themes and characters while at the same time, not allowing them to become generic.