Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Jon's Statement

Artist. This is a word that I have associated with since my first memories became present. Most likely the immediate familiarity was due to the fact that my mother, being an esteemed fine artist/sculptor, gave me a direct outlet and genetic disposition from an early age. As I made my way through the first stages of pre-school, kindergarten, and grade school, I noticed myself in a highly elevated position in terms of talent and creativity among my peers, making my way into the winning circle of statewide competitions and other prospects of this nature. When I entered high school my mind could only concentrate on art and a competitive need to be involved in sports. As I realized that in the larger arena my work still stood alone, my decision became final that I would pursue art as a career.
With that said, enough for tooting my own horn. My major downfall is that I never had any direct, concrete idea of exactly how I wanted to utilize my talent. I just knew that I was good at it and that it gave me immense gratification. I had always been fascinated with cinema so a major contender was one of set design or cinematography. My second major downfall struck me as I approached college. Starting as a visual communications design student I became absolutely and completely burned out on drawing or sketching of any kind when battered with the repetition of drawing the SAME DAMN THING over and over. Hastily I changed majors, moved away, “soul-searched”, bounced in and out of school with no real headway and didn’t even so much as pick up a pencil other than to write something down or perhaps maybe make a graffiti doodle on a desk. Now, as I approach my final quarter of my undergrad, having nearly completed a very stimulating major of film studies, focusing on video production and editing, I have begun to express myself once again. Not only by means of these short films that I am creating in this class and other video production courses, but also in my spare time. I have finally started to sketch and paint again for the last year or so, but I have realized that my mind is crafted toward moving imagery. This handful of classes that I feel has been the true education that I am receiving, are extremely interesting and appealing to me. Now I just need to catch up with the rest of the bunch and project my creativity into the technology.
To put it simply, I cannot remain asleep for any amount of time without my mind manifesting some form of theatrical event perceived as an audience member focusing on a screen. The truth of my life in “the dark ages” when I had no involvement with art, is that I was distraught, careless, and in some indescribable way, unhappy. With this basic personal understanding, I certainly consider myself to be an artist.