Sunday, March 4, 2007

Rachel's Statement

Why am I an artist? This has always seemed an odd question to me. Why not? or How can I not be? always seems to be my knee-jerk reaction.

As artists, we have an instinctive drive to make art. The challenge is not what to make or why to make, but how to apply it for everyone else. So then, what is my purpose as an artist? I rarely answer this question, probably because it’s difficult to think about and answer confidently.

I believe humans need to hear themselves, by the power of their own voice and also other’s. Desire is a powerful feeling, and it’s often linked to guilt. My work regularly admits to desire with candor. My desire to know is often so strong that it is painful. Making art became the outlet.


I can help myself decipher my own identity, and hopefully help others do the same.

I’ve come to a point in my life in which I do not believe my images can accurately visually depict all that I feel or wish to say. Text has become a vital tool. In exploring language, I’ve learned a variety of ways humans communicate. I’ve learned everything in life can be and probably is (without trying) art. I love this feeling.