Tuesday, May 15, 2007

a statement

In high school I didn't have a lot of opportunities to experiment with art. I knew I liked that idea of creating things and drawing, but that was the extent of it. All of my classes interfered with the art classes, so I just learned on my own in my free time. I didn't have a lot of things offered to me. I feel like now as I am taking more and more art classes at Ohio State, I am being introduced to so many different mediums, programs, and ideas. It's really exciting and scary all at the same time. Since I just learned on my own, I never really considered art and technology as something I would be interested in. The more I learn about its opportunities and capabilities, the more I want to do with it. I am realizing how hard it is to go about learning everything from nothing as I attempt to get into the major, but I have no doubt that I can get a hold of it and use it to do what I truly want to do.

For a while I was convinced that I wanted to be a forensic scientist. In high school I became fascinated with it, even back before CSI blew up. The idea of science and nature being able to go up against some of the evils in society was very exciting. Then I discovered that chemistry was not as exciting, and while there was room to be creative, science is not as flexible as something like art. Although I have given up on the idea of being a scientist, I still think about the subject. That is apparent in some of my artwork, as well as pop culture. I believe that pop culture is unavoidable, so some little things appear in my art like music and television references. My pop culture is not limited to today though, I was raised on 70's and 80's programming, so sometimes my pop culture is a little outdated.

My long term goals in art involve music. I really want to try to get involved with some sort of band merchandising. This includes t-shirt design, websites, album art, posters, and so on. I got into music and discovered that I had no musical talent, so I want to combine my two passions. I understand that this means collaborative ideas, and I think that is important. It is a way to keep things interesting and challenging. I think in order to accomplish this, Art and Technology is the best route. The field is very open and allows you to incorporate all different genres of art.