Tuesday, May 15, 2007

a statement

I don’t believe I ever sat down and decided to become an artist. It was just something that happened on its own. Right from the start I have been interested in painting, drawing and things of that nature. Later on I realized that I wanted to pursue an art related career because I hated pretty much every other subject. Art just made sense.

Developing through the years, more and more of my life became art related. Everything was expanding, and it wasn’t just my work that was art related, but my entire life. You can tell by the cut of my clothes and the style of my hair. You can tell by my posture and stance and how I compose myself. My clothes and lifestyle… and even the way I act have become dictated by this driving force in my life. Every part of me relates back to art.

Being interested in the design of the world has helped me figure out where I want my career to take me. From the cars we drive to the packaging on our products to the way we read news on the Internet, design changes the world. “Now that we can do anything, what will we do?” This question sparks thought about where my work can take me and where it can take others. What can I really do? The answer to this question is what drives me as an artist.

Katherine Hickey