Sunday, November 11, 2007

Art Statement

“What we need perhaps is finally to find our own anthropology, one that will speak about us. Not the exotic anymore, but the endotic.” Georges Perec

My practice is a systematic exploration of occupancy of public and private space and residues of existence. This work consists of individual series, mostly photographic, observing the ordinary, everyday, and often banal. The incorporation of found materials and the repetition and accumulation of images of everyday life contain reflections on consciousness and the nature of being. I employ formal strategies, which heighten the importance of negative space in the form of a horizon to add a dimension to my concern with existential issues. I am interested in horizon, as a point beyond which we cannot see. It is not a line; it has no place; it encloses no field; its location is always relative to the view.

I use visual space as a template for measuring the world and situating myself in relationship to it. I am searching for a particular kind of place somewhere between the horizon and the frame, between perspective and surface, between the trace and the sign. My work deals with issues of absence and presence; structure and void; emptiness and substance. I often consider my practice to be a musing on existence and the passage of time.

I am interested in going beyond prominent events, the extraordinary: the front splash, the banner headlines that speak to most people, as if life reveals itself only by the way of the spectacular. The daily papers talk of everything except the daily. What are we experiencing? What happens and re-occurs everyday: the ordinary, the obvious, the background noise, the habitual. I want to speak of these common things, to track them down, to give them meaning, a tongue, to let them speak of what is and of who we are.