Sunday, November 11, 2007

Art Statement

I am presently exploring the implications of a low
fidelity printing process I have been integrating into
my painting for the last year. This process emphasizes
the physical presence and manipulation of paint and
canvas as well as the chance combinations of color
that frequently emerge. The result is that color in my
work functions as a material, rather than
expressionistically, illusionistically or
symbolically. For this reason, the viewer comes to
terms more with how the work is painted than what the
work is. Thus, the emphasis falls equally on the
physical and the visual with chance playing a large
role in the final outcome. I am trying to expose the
materiality of painting through the low fidelity
printmaking processes I employ. This exposure makes
visible the way in which materials, at least in equal
measure to or perhaps more than content, propel
painting.


Daniel