Sunday, November 11, 2007

Art Statement

I have spent too much time pursuing the practical end of something to fall back on since music, art, and film are the impossibilities for socially acceptable success. Though my scenery and occupation have been consistently changing, the only constant for me has been the desire, need and absolute necessity to create and be surrounded by creativity. I have always been resourceful enough to find some outlet and escape no matter how suffocating and draining the logical and acceptable choices have been. This last year has marked the first time that I decided that I am solely responsible to myself and my own happiness and it is okay to realize I am not here to be miserable for eight hours a day, dreading each day until it comes to an end, living for the next free moment I have to do what I enjoy. That is why I am an artist, it is not a choice, and it is the only way that I feel content, accomplished and complete.

The best part of inspiration is that it can come from anywhere at anytime. It is completely unpredictable and forces me to take chances that I may otherwise pass by, hoping that it could be the moment that will stir my imagination and cause a chain reaction for another project or the basis for a new idea. The disadvantage of that is I cannot purposely seek it out and cannot anticipate it.

I have recently become introduced to the medium of video, which has completely opened new aspects of conveying my thoughts and ideas. There is always a point of the technical obstacles when learning a new skill but the frustration only comes from not being able to master the basics quick enough to see the ideas come to life the way that I have imagined them in my mind.