Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Statement

Everything I make is in the interest of telling a story. Even if I don't really know what exactly the story is, everything becomes just that much more interesting if you feel that there's something deeper to it. Who is that guy? Why is he standing there? What's he thinking about? And if the viewer of the artwork is able to feel that there is a story just by looking, that much the better. Even if what I'm thinking about is completely different than what they are thinking about. In fact, I like it better when the viewer is able to come up with their own story, because theirs is probably more interesting and/or meaningful to them than anything I tell them, because they can bring their own memories and experiences to the work, whereas I can only bring in my own. If thirty different people view my work and come up with thirty different stories, then I feel like I've accomplished something significant.