Sunday, July 19, 2009

a statement

Making art, for me, is a way to further explore how we see. My sources are everyday visual experiences of architecture and landscape but I am most interested in perceptions of space and not the actuality of it. History, imagination, even social anxieties can be projected onto a location. I hope to excavate these qualities of spaces and to interpret them as images that are a compression of time. I also want them to be understood as places where multiple histories and perspectives overlap.

I am a painter mostly and I am very invested in what it means to paint at a time when representation seems more real than reality. However, I reject the idea that painting has become symbolic of expression rather than expression in and of itself. I attempt to reveal my paintings as both object and image. This, I believe, opens up the possibilites for imagery while maintaining some self awareness.