Saturday, August 1, 2009

a statement

My approach to creating artwork has gone through several changes in the past few years. Although this string of changes has in some way brought me to what I am working on in my current life, I have also begun to come to terms with the idea that my work is continually evolving. I will likely not find the answers I am looking for in my work; rather, I will continue to experiment with ideas and techniques, and evaluate my decisions as I work. Working with an intuitive approach, rather than a rigid, planned approach, has lent itself well to my concept of evolving artistic style.

Regarding subject, I am interested in sequencing events, be they personal histories, memories, stories, etc. I find perpetual curiosity in the way specific events relate to each other on an intimate and personal level.

Aesthetically, I am drawn toward abstract art and the ways in which some abstract artists are able to create moments of unique intimacy between the artwork and the viewer. For me, the absence of a direct narrative makes room for the viewer to contribute to the piece, thus enhancing its personal nature.