Sunday, December 20, 2009

David's statement

When I create art, whether I’m drawing, painting, or editing video I am creating something that reflects my artistic background, my ethnicity, my family, and my personal esthetics. Although, when I say ‘my own’ I do not mean to speak of myself as some kind of great modernist thinker, but as an artist that has been shaped by a post modern world. I create art that pleases myself first and foremost, but I do usually have in mind what type of emotional response that I am trying to evoke from my viewers. In fact, during my creative process I am extremely conscientious of what other people are going to think of my work, and or, what I want them to think of when they are viewing my work. The whole process is very is very psychological and utilizes a great deal of knowledge about our American culture; at least from my perspective. Specifically, for the last couple of years I have been motivated to create art that combats racial stereotypes as well as just the plan old racism that seems to linger on in this country; in our popular culture, in our political institutions, and in everyday life. Though, I will admit, this topic does seem to be something that you would think our country would have healed from by now, but never the less it remains. Growing up in Whitehall Ohio, and even when I arrived on OSU campus I have continued to encounter and see a great deal of racism, discrimination, and bigotry which has propelled me to act on this deeply embedded issue in our society and culture in general. However, I always create art that pleases myself and reflects my personal esthetics. In particular, I have always been attracted to surrealists’ artworks for their ability to bend or alter reality. As such, I want my own artwork to at times ‘alter” reality whether it’s a negative racial stigma, or just a simple story that I want to convey.