Sunday, December 13, 2009

Steve's statement

I come to art from a world of standards and protocols. Information and organization dominate the landscape. In this world color, tone, shape and perspective have no meaning. This world is hidden by wrappers, boxes, buttons and knobs; all helping to mask the dirty details. Creativity and technique exist, but generally go unrecognized and unappreciated.
Despite their drastic differences, I am starting to see similarities between my world and the world of art. Experimentation, iteration, practice, calculation, processing and improvisation all work in both worlds. Both worlds also seem to have limitless possibilities, directions and methods of implementation.
I am not a complete foreigner to the world of art; something more like a tourist. For years I have been exposed to the works of many artists of all different levels, but never have taken an active roll in making art. It's strange for everything you make to be right there in the open, no wrappers, no boxes, no disguises, no cover. It's a bit uncomfortable to have your ideas criticized, defend your methodology and justify your decisions. These are the lessons that I hope to take from my foray into the world of art.