Monday, May 31, 2010

A Statement

I was born at the end of an era of typewriters, letters, and rotary phones: methods of communication that demand a physical and tactile presence. Growing up in Pennsylvania’s coal regions led me to investigate the Industrial Revolution and its demise. I document what is lost in transition and question our blind faith in progress.

While wandering through abandoned factories, mines and ghost towns, I became fascinated with the empty spaces inside, heavy with the weight of abandoned technology. The typewriter (an “individualized press”) as well as Taylorism’s “Time and Motion Studies” ironically standardized the motions and communications of every operator. I have found a direct connection to these actions through the historically commercial use of printmaking.

In response to the anxieties of separation from the physical world, I render the fading remnants of industry through outdated forms of media and communication