Sunday, August 15, 2010

Alicia's Statement

When I create art, I intend to express myself. Art lets me use all of my emotions and passions and put them together into a visual work. All of my pieces give off a feeling that I was trying to convey at the time of creating.

My goal in art making is to bring back to the surface the hidden beauty that surrounds us. We are stuck in a world ruled by the media and superficial obsessions. This hidden beauty may be found in our physical world, fantasy world, or in one’s emotional complex. This specific short film was a new experiment for myself. I wanted to give off a weird sense of eeriness to engage the audience and keep them intrigued.

My inspiration comes mostly from the minimalist artists. I am a complete advocate for “less is more”. My interest in past work also extends to those eccentric individuals, such as Dali, who are willing to take risks. I like to stir things up and create something different to provoke a new thought or feeling in someone. I focus on sparking a new interest or idea in someone just by one look.