Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Statement

My work is both an autobiography and exploration of the forms and phenomena that interest me. Much of my work explores the diseases and illnesses that, both great and small, have impacted my life. As opposed to just illustrating the condition, I synthesize my experiences with both the causes and effects of the affliction.

In addition to my medical history I use a childhood spent in rural Maine as a source of inspiration for my work. Having been raised in the woods, I was something of a child naturalist and my observations and experiments are still providing me with fodder for art.

It is always my intent to create a beautiful and disturbing image and experience. I want the work to linger. I want to challenge the way beauty is recognized within the context of my work. I want to relate my experience, to that of the viewer. For the most part, we all share a common reality and I try to remember that and use it to my advantage when creating work.