Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Statement

My identity as an artist and scholar is shaped by a cyclical interplay of practice and theory in creations for the stage, screen and page. Through dance as research I access, construct and share embodied episteme as it relates to other ways of knowing the world, particularly language. As an interdisciplinary artist, I utilize the specificity of meaning manifest within multiple media such as movement, language, video, sound and lighting, to investigate intimate human experiences within a communal context. I am interested in how technology transforms constructions of embodied presence/absence in space and time, for both performer and audience. In all areas of my work, I am committed to furthering dance as a critical mode of inquiry and expression in our society—one which can achieve accessibility without oversimplification, through widespread embodied education.


Via choreography I aspire to build connections with a diverse audience on an honest, vulnerable and human level. My creation process is physical from start to end, exploring the content and knowledge present in the body. I see the body as a storehouse of unconscious knowledge and memory of an individual’s life as well as generations past, which can be articulated through movement. I value approaches to training that foster vulnerability in performance, as I believe this honesty allows audience members to enter a piece, experiencing it from their own perspective. Engaging with diverse communities by teaching workshops and presenting choreography in alternative settings allows me to use dance to its full potential, as a tool for community building, healing, entertainment and artistic expression.