Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Statement

I want to bring back the production values and aesthetics of horror films from the 80s. I view the intricate designs of the props and special effects as well as the musical themes and storytelling techniques as special to the 80s and represents the pinnacle of the horror genre. I feel horror movies from this time period are artistic and should get more artistic credit than they receive. A lot of horror films borrow lighting techniques and use of shadows from the German expression films from the 1920s. A lot of horror films from this era also deal with issues of the subconscious and the darker side of humanity as well as our fears and desires.Movie props and spfx from the 80s also had a certain exaggerated surrealism to them that I feel is absolutely gorgeous. Most modern films opt to make spfx digitally and I find this disappointing.