Sunday, March 20, 2011

Marie's statement

It makes sense to me to make artwork about myself. I can only relate to the
emotions of others, but emotions and experiences that I have dealt with personally,
I can fully conceptualize. The hard part from there is then displaying these concepts
and emotions to others in a way that is interesting.

I have been dealing with this idea since the summer. I studied abroad
in Greenwich (London, England) and we had a poetry week in which one of the
assignments was to take a walk and write down not only what you were seeing
but what you were thinking. The poem became a mapping of my mental state. I
enjoyed working that way in my journal, sometimes just writing whatever and not
allowing myself to even stop for a second to think. It was interesting to see how my
environment influenced my thoughts and how each thought lead to another.

Since I’ve been back to Columbus, I have been working this same process into
my artwork. All of my paintings, and even my glasswork, have reflected a mapping
of what I’m thinking of while creating the pieces. They are excessive, non-narrative,
hard to follow, and 100% about me. I’ve tried to display them in an aesthetically
appealing manner so that viewers are first pulled in my the visual content and then
as they start to break apart both the words and visuals they become interested in
the emotional concepts. It’s not important to me that the viewers know exactly
what’s going on in the piece. Instead, I hope that some of the ideas the viewer can
divulge and relate to, comparing it to their own lives.

I’m also engrossed specifically in the ways a person makes themselves
vulnerable by producing artwork that it about all their thoughts with no editing. I
write down something that I wouldn’t even tell my best friend, but then I paint over
it, only allowing some of the words to show through. In this manner, my struggle to
become accessible, my reluctance, my vulnerability is shown.

In Art553, I have attempted to show this same process through real-life
video imagery. Everything is shot from my perspective and the pictures are things
that I experience almost every day. The jumping, quick, unwarranted, clips are a
mapping of my thought processes and I have placed them in a narrative in which I
ask someone their name and then completely forget it because I am thinking about
these thoughts instead. The piece has been titled “Elsewhere” to introduce that
my mind is working outside of the situation I am in during the film. Because we
naturally want to place a narrative to most film we see, the viewer might also find
the leaping imagery leading their minds elsewhere in trying to understand the narrative if they can find one at all.

This film is staccato, redundant, and fast which is exactly how my mind
works and at the same time I do not put the ideas out there clearly to expresses
my interest in vulnerability. While there is a minor theme to the images, I do not
allow that to be obvious because it is something personal and secretive. This piece
stays true to my visions in trying to visually express my thoughts and emotions and
somehow making them visually appealing to others.