Sunday, March 20, 2011

Samantha's statement

This quarter, I wanted to create work that was entertaining, visually stimulating, and enjoyable to experience.  Typically, the work I create is stays within the realm of drawing and painting; however, when I do branch out to try different mediums I like to keep a consistency throughout the body of work.  By taking this class and thinking about image in a different way, I was able to tackle different concepts of movement, light and color.  This video course not only challenged me by forcing my hand out of the direct work and to rely on the technology to translate the vision I had for the project.
I chose to focus on color and movement as I would in my paintings and drawings by creating a collaged motion picture of still images.  I wanted a whimsical and slightly dark comic audio track to accompany it so I chose copyright free radio shows from the 1950’s to the 1970’s.   I feel that my love of the impressionist era was somehow translated through my video and could not be happier that it presented itself and inadvertently created a tie to my other work.