Monday, May 16, 2011

Sarah's Statement

Often I am trying to reflect a personal experience or memory. To make physical something that is conceptual, a dream, a memory, or a feeling transformed into a reality. Through the experience of creating these objects representing emotions a little piece of my self is revealed. It is my method of seeking and finding the self through the creative process and revealing my sub conscious ideas about my self and how I interpret life.

My personality denotes a very emotive approach to experience, understanding and response. I consider the emotions to be one of the only things in life that are solely individual and honest. In my work I try to transform an emotional experience into the physical realm. Like the Abstract Expressionist uses brush strokes or fields of color to communicate emotions I use form and object as brush stroke. Sometimes working more formally and minimalistic and sometimes more conceptual and chaotic, it all depends on the feeling of what I am trying to express. Through the process the form is revealed and often, something also revealed to the form where a moment of reconciliation and understanding is apparent. I want to create for the viewer an honest feeling, whatever it may be.

Through feeling and acknowledgment we find truth in ourselves and our identity.