Monday, June 13, 2011

Rae's statement

Typically a sculptor, I find myself drawn to materials. I enjoy struggling with material, responding to each media’s unique properties and characteristics as I wrestle it into a new form. Typically, I reject intermediary tools that separate my hands from material, preferring to handle media as directly as possible. Tools, including computer programs, seem coldly efficient to me. There is something sterile and unfeeling about clicking a cursor on a glowing screen, something awkwardly alien about holding a cold plastic drill that tethers me to an outlet. When approaching something as intangible as video, which exists only in the digital realm, I must think in an entirely different way. Concept overrules aesthetics, and my discomfort forces my attention inwards.

Starting with one of the most basic and fundamental themes of self-introspection, this video examines identity. Referencing portraiture and role-playing, I am exploring the relationship between individuals as they mirror one another and assume aspects of the other. My interest is in posing questions by creating a visual loop that confuses and disorients the viewers, leaving it up to them to come to their own conclusions.