Saturday, October 1, 2011

Janelle's statement

I create art for truths that I cannot define with words because words are either inadequate or do not exist. Practically speaking, this could be seen in a portrait where a strength or emotion lingers under the surface, or with a piece that asks more questions than it gives answers. I also inject a certain amount of pointed humor in my work to either make the viewer laugh or to be taken aback by my point of view.

I typically use photography to make my work, but video overcomes some of the limitations of still photography. I enjoy being able to communicate with the viewer differently. I feel that photography can tell a story, but it’s based on inferences from a still or group of stills. Video allows for further communication, and allows for a full range of expression in its immediacy.