Sunday, January 22, 2012

Jen's statement


"Film as dream, film as music. No art passes our conscience in the way film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls." -Ingmar Bergman

I love film as an art medium because it does exactly that. I use my art to tell stories and create new, and bring out existing emotions. You can say so much with just a little- whether in acting, lighting, music, sounds, or with what you choose not to show. I love the idea that the story I tell can mean completely different things to different people, and that with the same 2 minutes of footage, a whole range of emotions and stories can be evoked. The strength of the piece is in it’s ability to speak to more than one person, and in more than one way. The art of storytelling is such a vital one, so in my works I hope to only grow and dive deeper into the various depths that are there to be explored. What could be more fun or imaginative than creating your own worlds and ideas with a simple piece of equipment and creativity, and bring audiences with you on that journey, even if there’s takes a few different turns along the way. Film is a never-ending fascination, and deliverer of feelings to our souls- whether it hits us over the head, or creeps back into our mind and lingers for awhile after, it is ever more powerful.