Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tina's statement

The only reason I consider myself an "artist" is because one definition of an artist is "A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill."  The part of that definition that lets me know I'm an artist is the part saying "creative ability".  I'm not creative in a philosophical or a meaningful sense or any of that kind of deep thinking crap.  I'm only creative in the more...lazy sense.  I like to be creative in the most obvious ways.  My "art" does not take any in depth thought or strange concepts.  It's simply whatever my random thoughts formulate. 

My favorite thing to draw is stick figures.  Most people look down upon stick figures as drawings that are made for novices of art; those who are inept, if you will.  But the reason I love to draw stick figures is because you can make them do whatever the hell you want.  If you want the stick figure to be a break dancer, you contort the limbs; if you want your stick figure to get hit by a car, you detach the limbs; if you want the stick figure to be a living water raft, you draw no limbs.  Your mind can go in an which direction you can think, which is something I love doing: thinking of the weirdest events or scenarios and drawing them.  Ideas are so much more pleasing and fun when they're drawn as stick figures rather than opening your trap and telling people that don't care. 

I'm an artist because I use stick figures to express the weird shit that I think about in my head.  I won't be called insane if they're all on paper...