Sunday, November 25, 2012

Aubry's Statement

It is my hope as an artist to challenge the viewer. I am not sure that what I create is art, but rather I believe that I create opportunities for art to be discovered. Making a video is only half of the challenge. I believe that in order for the art to be successful, the viewer must not just be subjected to the art but to experience it and be an active participant in it's creation and existence. 

As an artist I attempt to not go into a project with intention much in the same way I hope a viewer does not experience my work of art with a preconceived idea of it's meaning or content. I think that predetermining intentions in a work of art is manipulative and selfish. I believe an artist should be collaborating with his or her audience, not creating for the audience and to go into the work with intentions puts the artist and the audience on different playing fields which is unfair.