Monday, July 22, 2013

Pete's statement

I make things because I am addicted to novelty, I am obsessed with the potential for my brain to surprise itself. Art for me exists in the different manifestations of the expressions of novel approaches to making things. Art for me is in the interval between the idea and its final form. It is in the significant and timely ways people realize how to pull out of material our connection to the world. Douglas Hofstadter stated in his book Godel Escher Bach, "because the needle of the record player is a mechanism that can convert groove patterns into sound there is an isomorphism between groove patterns and sounds, the needle is the mechanism that physically realizes that isomorphism." Record players pull music out of grooves. An artist should act like the needle, only they have to arrange the grooves first.