Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tyler's Statement

    Art can be defined in many different ways; the very definition of the word "art" is oftentimes the subject of debate, as the term remains largely open to individual interpretation. However, it is fairly interesting to consider that although most people are exposed to art each and every day of their lives, art is rarely consumed for the purposes of serving any form of utilitarian function. It is important that one challenges his/her self by engaging with new and interesting works of art on a regular basis. Many often do so and experience intellectual, creative, and emotional stimulation and reinvigoration in the process. However, people oftentimes choose to engage with art mostly for the sole purpose of seeking out entertainment and a personal sense of enjoyment.

    ​Throughout my life, I have always been extremely passionate about fictional storytelling and narratives across a wide variety of mediums. Every day I gain inspiration from the stories and works of fiction that I find compelling. I have always loved how narrative works possess the ability to bring different people together, allowing them to share conversations and ideas that are prompted by their feelings towards their favorite movies, books, music, games, and other forms of media. As an artist, I desire to one day create narratives that critically engage with a wide variety of people. I hope to inspire others in the very same way that I have been inspired by my favorite works of fiction in the past. My goal is to provide audiences with fiction that they will enjoy on an emotional and/or intellectual level, that open their minds to new values and ideas, and that provide them with a sense of escapism and entertainment. I firmly believe that many people, some of whom may not even consider themselves to be artists, undeniably have a strong, intrinsic desire to craft narrative experiences for others, and I would consider myself a very empty and disheartened person were I not to strive to create those types of experiences.