Sunday, November 26, 2006

Art Statement

As an artist my hope is to make people think. I’m a big fan of movies, and series that allow the view to come up with his/her own theories on its plot, story, beginning and ending. You might not understand what I’m talking about, so if you ever have a couple hours of free time I highly suggest you watch an anime called ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’. Oh yah, you may already know this but I’m a huge anime fan. Out of all the ones I’ve seen, this in many ways is by far the best. It allows you to draw your own conclusions about the characters beliefs and goals, along with the general purpose behind the story. It also dives deep into the psyche of each individual character, showing you their past and how they got to their present. This along with the fact that some of the characters intentions and beliefs are never fully explained gives you an incredible sense of depth and immersion. This is what I want to do someday. I want to give people that feeling, that same feeling I had after I first saw ‘The Shawshank Redemption’, or ‘Glory’, or ‘The Lord of the Rings the Fellowship of the Ring’ (I thought those were all excellent movies). The feeling that makes me think “damn, that was a good movie” after the ending of a good long film.

Jonathan Ishida