Monday, November 20, 2006

Statement

What I look to achieve as an artist is to challenge myself. It sounds simple and cliché but this isn’t meant to be in the finished product alone but in the entire process of video making itself. What I am looking for when I make art, is a reaction from myself more so than a reaction from many other people, at least in this stage of my career.

I’m looking to become more versatile and to explore different ways to approach a project. I know the rules of video but it’s not just about breaking them, its about how I can approach and interpret them.

An example of what I am looking to gain would be if I did a short piece entirely of wide shots. Could I make the piece interesting without showing close emotion? Could there be dialogue and show a following in the story? Would the settings take away from the actual message of the video or is that the point I would be trying to make?

This piece probably wouldn’t make any money, but it would give me a huge understanding of wide shots and how best to use them. Something I would never get from just using a wide shot for what it is meant for.

As I continue to accumulate experience through actions, my projects would become more complex and shaping into something unique and worthwhile. Until then, all I can do to grow as an artist is to continue experimenting.

-Alex