Sunday, November 19, 2006

Statement

I am a visual artist who uses text. I am a writer who uses images. I create video because time and audio add two more dimensions to the visual presentation of text and images which becomes an avenue for dynamic expression engaging the viewer by maximizing the number of senses which are stimulated. I view my art as communication with the viewer as well as a form of self-expression and purpose. My intention is to understand the ways media can be presented through various computer programs and web venues and combining them to create art.

An artist finds one’s voice and then expresses one’s purpose through various projects. For my graduate work, I intend to work collaboratively on an interdisciplinary project that encompasses several media forms and academic disciplines to communicate on multiple levels of perception. The video I anticipate producing will incorporate animation, compositing, and taped interviews (documentary) creating a video that operates on multiple levels to engage, inform and motivate change in the viewer’s thinking and behavior.

My intention is to establish a combination of multi-media approaches and uses that will express an understanding of the truth about a given topic. Combining words and images with consideration of color, form, and shape, as well as using movement, transitions, iconic forms, animation, composite images and montage, to create a communicative artwork that is both dynamic and persuasive. This process would be informed using color theory, narrative theory, cultural logic and moral mapping. It does not have to be limed to action, subject or scene, but can also include juxtaposition of images and non-sequiturs that will cause the viewer to think differently, making different or new associations which will illicit change in the viewer’s thinking and thereby their actions. This builds upon previous artists work such as John Heartfield who used his collage work as a political medium.

The work I intend to create in graduate school will inform my future work. Given the time-constraints involved with creating multi-media video art, it becomes essential to work collaboratively with other artists.

Michelle Aubrecht