Monday, May 5, 2008

Jeff's Statement

My approach to creating artwork usually involves three main aspects: perception, transparency & contradiction. I try not to plan outcomes, rather I prefer instead to think of art like a puzzle. I take my ideas and materials and ask them to interact. I am interested in these relationships and how they may be perceived by the viewer. I try to merge and layer these connections or disconnections to illustrate relationships. I am interested more in the before and after of the art. I consider my art to be residual, left behind or only part of the narrative. I find the relationship between man and environment peaks my interest the most. I am interested in the images that result from a human hand that will forever after battle with the natural elements for artistic dominance. It is that middle point, where it is unclear whether a brush or rusting metals that produced those strokes. Are we harnessing these elements of the natural environment or is it vice versa? Is there a message there in those images? I'm also starting to think more about time; duration, schedules and routines. Is there some grand cycle that we all are influenced by? Does this occur consciously or subconsciously? Many times my work involves repetitions of ideas, actions and materials. I try to understand the relationships between art of the past and the art of the present. Is there any difference? Are we repeating the same concepts and ideas, only through different mediums? Has everything already be done before? What is new? Sometimes the questions are more important than the answers. Questions cannot be right or wrong.