Monday, May 5, 2008

Jessie's Statement

I call myself an artist because I love to visually show people the way that I see things. To me scenery, story, and emotion are present in everything at all times. Each one tells a piece of the other. However, I've never been great at painting or sculpting. I've never been really into music or poetry. I have found in making videos a way to tell a story the way I wanted it to be told, or a way to show a picture the way that I want it to unfold. In doing this over the past couple of years I'm able to watch myself grow as an artist. I have an obsession with color. It's not just bright color, but mixing colors or losing colors. As an artist I have chosen to make my work represent something people can relate to. If it pulls them away from themselves, there's got to be a small feeling of understanding left. With art you can mix light, sound, smell, touch, and story where it wouldn't be found usually. I believe that's what draws most people to art of all kinds.