Monday, May 5, 2008

Sam's Statement

I always attempt to represent concepts and emotions as faithfully as possible from where they began in my mind. Of course, things do evolve during the process and I embrace change wholeheartedly if it works, but there's always a beginning, an amorphous ether of musings over idealized notions which ask to be reformed in a novel way and presented as art. I always want to explore the architecture of my psyche – a crossroads of memory, culture, philosophy (e.g. existentialism), the unknown, etc.

The process of conception becomes one of translation, extraction, and selection, to create a dialogue between the conscious world and the oft neglected "not-so-conscious" world – an intangible place of truths that I believe dictate all the goings-on in this world quite invisibly. It is a way of using the senses as a vehicle to stimulate or reawaken subconscious debris, and hopefully promote a reevaluation of the imposing mores established by a conditioned culture.

Inevitably, I want the final product to always be something stark, be that in its rawness, levity, darkness, presence, or sense of meditation. I want to hit a core in the same way I've seen some of my favorite artists do. The core is a place that, when revealed, leaves a permanent impression on people, not because of shock value or satiation of art world standards, but because of the unassuming power of realness.