Saturday, August 8, 2009

Adam Frizzell

Art is a unique medium of communication. Unlike text, speech or physical interaction, art possesses the ability to hold a viewer’s attention before any translation has occurred. The visual dynamics offered by a piece of art intrigue or disgust the viewer, forcing them to continue their witnessing until their curiosity is appeased and they have came to some conclusion or other about the meaning behind the work.

Focusing on this ability I choose to make art which has something to inform the viewer about. Aesthetic beauty, in my opinion, is secondary (and occasionally involuntary) to the potential communicative powers of art. My intention is to create works that inform or enlighten the viewer. The subject matter often addresses issues that I feel the general population should be more aware of – making my artwork into a kind of mirror to society. I tend to focus on the habits and choices that our collective species make and illuminate them in a way that becomes entertaining or offensive with less hope to cause an instance of change and more hope that I can foster a contemplation of one’s own behavior.