Saturday, August 1, 2009

a statement

Why do I make art? I don’t really know. It is something that I have always done. Even as a child, I had a compulsion to draw or otherwise make whatever image was swirling around in my mind. It is very personal to me, my works are like my children and I am reluctant to share them with the world. Maybe because I am afraid of what other people might say about them, that is mistreat my “children”. Or maybe I don’t really care how other people think, I just want to do what I want to do. As a young adult, I suppressed this compulsion to be “practical” and got a job in the business world so I could support myself, because everybody said nobody can support themselves as an artist. Recent life changing events have altered my thinking and I am pursuing what I want to do, not what is sensible or practical. Even if I have to go back into the business world, I will not give up making art again.