Saturday, August 1, 2009

a statement

I am trying to show others the two halves of my duality. My two halves are made up of “things that I perceive as normal” and “things that I internally label as abnormal”. I usually accept my physical and emotional separation from other people and the existence of duality as normal. I have internally labeled my and other people’s malleable sexuality and gender as abnormal. I see this malleability as a “frightening impulse” which I usually react against (again internally) violently. Although I have conflicts with my duality, I create my artwork as part of a process that reflects my attempt to create a balance between my two halves.
I am exploring methods outside of making personal artwork to reflect the balance that I am trying to create between my two halves. To begin my search, I pose a question: “Do other people relate to the concepts that I am trying to show in my work?” I then create artwork in a variety of mediums based on people’s verbal and written responses to this question.
I am adjusting my work to help others respond to it more easily. Part of this process involves continuing to experiment with my artwork by looking at a person’s connection to art objects, and by exploring an individual’s connections to other people. I continue to build on my successful experiments by creating new works that exploit my artwork’s connections to others.