Saturday, August 1, 2009

a statement

Emotionally driven conceptual art has always been something I have been interested in. Emotion is something I feel everyone can relate to so building a concept around it makes sense to me. Making art that will make the viewer think about what they are looking at or why it is made in the first place it usually the kind of result I am trying to achieve. Paying attention to the aesthetics is a very important characteristic when it comes to the overall appearance and presentation of the piece. Intentional detail is something I have constantly included in just about everything I have ever made. Details can range from a moth flying around a lamp in the background to the how well everything is rendered in the environment itself. This has always helped aesthetically improve the visual aspects of a particular piece. In addition, the aesthetics of the piece may also help with layering the work given that viewers might be interested only in the appearance, and must observe it once more to fully appreciate the meaning of the work. I am not normally against works that thrive purely on aesthetics, but including a well thought out concept can do nothing but strengthen the piece. Also, my concepts are typically not as direct or straight forward as they may appear. Keeping some of the narrative hidden along with trying to layer it with subplots can make for a very fascinating result. Viewers should be able to return to the piece and notice something entirely new when they view it yet again.