Sunday, December 13, 2009

Ale's statement

Currently I am a second year student at The Ohio State University, working toward my MFA in Dance, where I am focusing in performance and choreography. My choreographic processes are based on questions that drive me to generate a piece. Currently, these questions include: cultural differences, human relationships, and society. Once an idea is in my head, I start asking more questions regarding that motivation. I then improvise in the studio in search of movement qualities. I am intrigued by culture, with people’s interactions, and with small details, and the use of movement to generate a reaction in the audience. My motivation is my needs to feel and say something, which I base introducing a problem and issue. I am interested in pieces that make me think, and that moves me as a human being. In my work, I create physical, emotional and spatial tension, through using text, simplicity, and ambiguity. As a performer I like to immerse myself in what I am doing, and work to obtain the quality of the movement that the choreographer wants. Dance is an amazing and important tool in my life that I like to share to the world.