Sunday, December 13, 2009

Brent's statement

Art for me does not come particularly easy, it is a struggle, but it is a desire from within me and is something that challenges me on many levels. A question was asked to me: “Will you continue to produce art when projects are no long assigned to you in class?” This rightly challenged my thinking about how I tended to separate my art from the rest of my life. I did not even realize it, but at the time I didn’t truly see myself as an artist, but instead as a student trying to produce art for a grade. Reflecting on my years here at OSU, I have learned to look beyond the grades; art isn’t about the grade or how well I did in class compared to others. My art is an extension of me. Art is my life. And I look forward to continue producing art no matter where I go in life.