Sunday, April 11, 2010

Henna

Why Am I An Artist

I ask myself this question at least once a day and most of the time my answer is “I have no freaking clue.” My childhood dream when I grew up was to be an artist. As a student at OSU and a fine arts/film studies major I am making my childhood dream come true. This dream of mine has been in my heart and mind for over 15 years now and I am an artist to make this dream come alive.

When I create something, an assignment for class or something just for fun, I am in complete bliss. I get in this zone where nothing can burst my invisible bubble. The pieces that come out of this period of zen can be either art or not. Art is subjective, especially as a student, some people may think a creation is art where as someone else may say that its not, its more of a homework assignment or a hobby.

Everything I create I consider art, especially if it is a class assignment and/or it is in a medium I am not familiar with. I hope my work can just be appreciated as art. I want people to watch my videos, play with the interactive ceramic pieces, enjoy staring at the paint on stretched canvas. I want people to embrace the feeling of serenity, hilarity, or even craziness I feel when the pieces are created.