Sunday, November 21, 2010

a statement

Something I've learned about art during these past couple of years is the necessity of experimentation. One can only determine how others will react to a his/her artistic decisions by displaying them and receiving feedback & criticism...there doesn't seem to be any way to know beforehand how others will react to a particular artistic decision, unlike a scientific experiment...in which one has at least some idea of what will happen. This particular realization frightens me...despite the fact that my attempts to create art have typically been regarded positively. Perhaps this should be my motivation to continue experimenting, even when I'm sure no one will like my work. I may simply continue to be pleasantly surprised...or I may end up finally creating work that is a complete failure artistically. But then, doesn't one learn more from failure than from success in the first place?