Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bryant's statement

Art making for me used to be purely recreational. When I decided to pursue media and other art mediums academically my preparation and process changed. When exploring a project I typically turned to a meditative exercise to achieve some creative ideas. Applying a sequence from that idea the remainder of the work generally falls into place organically. This process would be delicate, because again, I would have no deadlines and art making was purely for my own entertainment and a means to let off some creativity. Now, when I am given an assignment I try to revisit the practice that got me here with art work that I produce. If I struggle with ideas or feel pressured to produce work, forcing myself to create great ideas in a certain frame of time, I usually fail. As the deadline gets closer I get more anxious then, BAM! Breakthrough. It's a great feeling and I can attribute many works to that surmountable breakthrough. The feeling it gives me to come up with something late and then be able to get excited to see its completion then a reaction from my peers is why I am so amped that I pursued this path.