Monday, May 16, 2011

Jennifer's Statement

As an artist, my use of video art is somewhat mediocre, but in ways that are useful or purposeful to my needs. I feel little need to make videos for the sake of making videos, but the more I think on it, the more impossible it is for me to negate the idea. Since I want to use video as a means of documentation, it is hard to NOT make videos for the sake of making videos. I want to document the processes I undergo when creating art, when building pieces, the trial and error of in a field where it is so damn hard to succeed. And yet, because I have never truly experienced it before, or felt that it was necessary to create something reflective of such things, I now want to use video art to capture emotions, reactions, or really anything. Since I want to document my artwork, or creative processes, it would be difficult not to document the emotions that are involved in the making. And I would like these videos to be naturalistic, even minimal, despite that there may be a copious amount of them to come. But all together, I want to use video to record things raw, and potentially unedited, if not just minimally edited.