Monday, May 16, 2011

Sarah's Statement

This quarter has really made me question why I became an artist in the first place. I have dealt with difficult in art in the past but this quarter has almost pushed me over the edge. I have been asked more often than not this quarter about why I create art. My answer is I don't know. I have a professor this quarter (like most students will at some point have), who seems hate everything I create and say. This has been extremely difficult for me to handle. Not because I am unable to handle criticism but because if I create art she does not like then it reflects on my grade. But if I do create art she likes it is not really a representation of me. I have struggle to figure out who I am as an artist and I can honestly say I do not know. I create art to express who I am and how I feel but is that enough? Do we create art for a viewer or for ourselves? If it is just for ourselves then why do we have galleries? I don't know. Thats all I can really give up at this point in my life. I don't know, (much about anything in fact). I guess I create art because it feels good.