Sunday, November 25, 2012

Joel Statement


I have spent the last 20 years making work to send a message through time. I have
worked in wood, bronze, and glass. I have focused primarily on glass because it will last
under some conditions around 10,000 years. I have focused, and edited my ideas to make
them universal enough to translate to humans 10,000 years from now.

But I am bored.

I have sucked the life and vigor out of every piece I have done in order to make the
message universal, and easily understood. I am now exploring ideas of the moment. I
want to use and understand the visceral emotions of the world in which I live today, and
I want to use a medium that encompasses, and drives that world. Transient, ephemeral,
and immediate.

I am using video, and the computer to duplicate, and imitate my world as I see it and as I
want to portray it.