Monday, July 22, 2013

Lauren's statement

As an artist just starting out I have been especially interested in juxtaposing elements.  In my painting, photography, and video art I like to explore the use of color in forming interesting and contrasting compositions.  As far as what I am trying to achieve with my art, ideally I want my viewer to find fascination in the banal or to look at something simple as something new and unfamiliar.  

In my final video art project I was really exploring the way my own point of view in traveling to India could come across, i.e. disorienting.  I also wanted it to portray my artistic style, i.e. my use of bright, fluorescent  color pitted against a more stark palette.

At the most base of levels, I am an artist because I didn't know what else to do.  I have been in college for the past 6 years on and off, searching for the right fit.  I finally realized that what I really need is an outlet that allows me to learn in a less controlled and more subjective way.