Monday, July 22, 2013

Levi's statement

Our misery provokes a greater happiness. I work with the sense of hopelessness through comic means to pull at the heartstrings of the viewer.
            My work often ends at sheer disappointment after traveling through a series of promising happenings in order to land there. While I rarely start an idea at the point of sheer depression it seems only natural to land in dismay. The failure of my protagonists has led many viewers into a better overall mood and this is where I want to take my audience. I loathe unhappiness like anyone else, and while my work may lead one to believe that I am unhappy I am quite the opposite. I want to see others in a state of bliss. By harnessing someone else's failures I am able to inspire the audience with joy.
            This leads to the other joy factor in my repertoire: absurdity. This ridiculousness is a way to direct my work toward humor. I employ this humor to transform my work into something that is both a commentary and a satire of the everyday. Whether this relationship is reflected by the robotic feline in Cat & Mouse seeking the approval of a high-tech computer and getting ignored or the man in Disappointment working to dig up a buried chest that is empty I strive for a lighter take on the depressing situations that we all face.
            We are a world of people desensitized to true problems like interpersonal relationships. We are unable to maintain interest in the complexities of one other and instead we focus on the next scenario of destruction. I find this to be ludicrous and would like to encourage reconsideration by those who take the time to experience the work in its entirety. I want the work to strengthen relationships through the satire of the innumerable conspiracy theories that flood the media. I want to synthesize the misery of the world into a state of pure bliss and let people once again realize that it is not the end that matters but the journey.