Saturday, January 10, 2015

Corrie's statement

To me, the role of the artist is to create the question; the role of my 
audience is to come up with an answer, and each answer will be exceptionally 
unique to each viewer who chooses to engage.
I ask myself, “Why are people so caught up in the amassing of material 
possessions?” “What is motivating people to believe that the accumulation of 
belongings can somehow enhance their overall lifestyle?” “Why do we put so 
much emphasis on looking a certain way?” 
I begin with questions like these and choose mediums such as 
photography, video and posters to create striking imagery according to my 
concept. For example, in a recent piece I used design and digital manipulation of 
photography to create a line of advertisements for fake products that promise to 
enhance your life simply by making you look physically flawless. With these 
posters, I want my audience to consider what they think they can gain just by 
looking different, or “better”.

My work asks questions about identity and societal influence on human 
beings, and takes a look into what people put their worth in. I choose to work with 
photo and video because of the sort of irony it poses as it contrasts the negative 
effects of media influence, many of which comes to the viewer by way of 
television and movies. In other words, the presentation of my ideas will be in the 
same form of the object of ridicule. Primarily a digital artist, my work exists largely 
as photography and video. These particular mediums allow me to record material 
from real life and manipulate it in a way that makes my viewers rethink what they 
already know, to take a critical look at the world around them, reflect and look 
inward. I want to make the implicit be explicit, to take what I see around me and 
expose it for what it really is. Ironically, viewers will be influenced by what they 
see in my videos and imagery, which is criticizing how much we are influenced 
by what we see.

No person is entirely satisfied with their appearances, and our society 
seems to make people, especially young women, extremely susceptible to 
placing a high value on looks and bear far too much weight on the minor flaws. 
With this in mind, I have chosen a process which I believe will encapsulate the 
shared hopes of people to be visually flawless. My goal is to tap into the viewer’s 
deeper cravings, to show them that we all share an overwhelming and innate 
desire to be desired. Being constantly bombarded with commercials, magazines, 
television, and other forms of media, we are trapped by these unrealistic 
expectations. There is a reason that trends and what is perceived as attractive 
are constantly changing – they can never be satisfied, and we keep having to go 
back to them. I hope that my work will make people realize that there are other 
sources of worth apart from appearances and possessions.