Sunday, November 21, 2010

a statement

What is art?

According to Dictionary.com, art is the quality, production, expression, or realm according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance. To me, art is the creation or arrangement of colors, sounds, forms, movements and other elements to produce emotion and reaction. With that said, oil painting and pastel drawing are two means for me to create art while igniting reactions in those who view my pieces. The reaction I strive to evoke in people is happiness because while creating art, I am most happy. Moreover, I believe life is about striving to be happy, and I pursue this through the use of color and subject.

While using bright reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues and purples, I paint and draw people and places. Usually these people and places are chosen while I am traveling because I find inspiration in those who are from different locations and cultures. Not only are the images I create colorful, but they are inspired by those far away people and places that many may never see for themselves. A dancer in a carnival parade in Brazil, a weaver in Peru, and a lake in Nicaragua are three examples of the images I have created.

These images directly reflect who I am from my love of travel and aspirations to teach people about the world and other cultures. In the past, I have explored and experimented with different mediums and techniques realizing that my passion is painting and drawing, and in the future, I want to integrate different materials that I find while traveling such as stones, leaves, hand woven yarn, seeds, and other elements in nature with my paintings and drawings. My vision and goals are to continue teaching people about the world through my art and to create happiness in those who view my pieces.